Where are the DualSun panels manufactured?
The manufacturing of a solar panel involves steps that can take place at different industrial sites. At every stage, our production process aims to offer the very best in solar technology, while addressing energy, climate and social issues.
In this article we will explain what are the fabrication stages for the DualSun solar panels.
Details of the manufacturing steps of a photovoltaic panel
Step 1: Purification of silicon to solar grade (purity > 99.9999%): This is the most energy-intensive step, for which we select only low carbon silicon.
Step 2: Melting silicon to form ingots.
Step 3: Cutting into wafers
Step 4: Transformation into solar cells (visible on the front side of the panel).
Step 5: Assembly of different layers of the panel, or lamination: The cells are hot-pressed between the glass plate used on the front side of the panels and a backsheet layer. An aluminum frame is added to protect and preserve the laminate.
SPRING: Integrated production and assembly line for all the thermal elements and assembly with the panels in France in Jujurieux.
Company: DualSun commitments for production and the industry
- R&D center and customer support.
- 19 million euros invested in R&D since 2010.
- Environmental and social impact reduction plans.
- Commitment in ENERPLAN to participate to the public debate.
- Creation of the DualSun academy in order to provide training to the craftsman of tomorrow.
- 70 people hired in France between Marseille and Jujurieux.
Production sites selected for their quality processes
Our vision has always been to use high-quality components and select the best factories with high levels of automation and integration to manufacture high-efficiency and low-carbon panels.
> To go further : What is the quality control process for DualSun FLASH panels?
Design of our panels has since the launching of the company been done with our engineers in Marseille.
In recent years, our photovoltaic cells were laminated in Belgium (2014-2016), France (2016-2017), and Germany (2018) and today the production of our FLASH panels is done in China. For the Hybrid SPRING panels it is produced in China for the front part of the panel (photovoltaic panel), and in France for the production and assembly of the thermal part. More than 50% of the added value is done in France, it is therefore Made in France panels.
DualSun SPRING hybrid panels are Made in France 🇫🇷
Our DualSun SPRING hybrid solar panel (PVT) has the Made in France label because it is proudly developed and manufactured in France.
In order to reduce the carbon impact of our activity while ensuring that we have the best possible control over the quality of our panels, we have worked on French solutions throughout the production chain, with :
- A Research and Development Centre based in Marseille 🇫🇷
- A DualSun factory at Jujurieux in the Ain region. It is ISO 9001 certified to guarantee the impeccable quality of our products 🇫🇷
- The design and manufacture of heat exchangers in France: this is the heart of the DualSun innovation, which recovers the energy lost when photovoltaic panels heat up 🇫🇷
- All the materials used in the manufacture of our heat exchangers are sourced in France 🇫🇷
Our production machinery is designed and manufactured in France.
SPRING hybrid panels are the result of a strong commitment to eco-responsibility and quality: they contribute to the development of unrivalled French expertise in a technology of the future.
Our approach to reducing carbon emissions
All our panels are low-carbon: they emit less CO2 than a standard solar panel throughout their lifespan, from manufacturing to recycling. Their carbon footprint is less than 550 kg CO2 equivalent per kWc, the official limit for obtaining the low-carbon certificate.
- Silicon sourcing represents the highest carbon impact of a solar panel. DualSun has therefore chosen a low-carbon silicon with 33% recycled content to limit the extraction of raw materials. As a result, DualSun panels have one of the best carbon footprints in the market.
- The assembly process has a slightly lower impact than silicon sourcing. Assembling the panels in France reduces the panel's footprint by 9%.
- Transportation between different manufacturing stages is also well integrated into the study, although its impact remains very marginal contrary to popular belief.
The results of the simplified carbon study for our DualSun FLASH Half Cut panels (Black and White versions) are also available on our website, providing detailed information on this impact: Technical Documentation FR - DualSun.
What are the working conditions in DualSun's partner factories?
DualSun signed a commitment letter on October 15, 2021, affirming our highest standards regarding working conditions with our partners.
DualSun prohibits all forms of slavery, child labor, racism, human trafficking, or religious restrictions within its own company and among all its business partners.
Partner factories are systematically audited to ensure production that strictly adheres to these conditions. We select manufacturers ranked at the highest level by ECOVADIS, an independent CSR rating organization. The list of the company's social responsibility certificates is accessible in this article.
We have recently received many questions about the situation of the Uighurs. We can reassure our customers by confirming that none of our industrial partners are involved in this issue as we can see on the map above.
At DualSun, we believe that companies have a role to play in the ecological transition by measuring the positive or negative consequences of the products or services they sell on both environmental and social aspects. We are working to measure and manage all these impacts to the best of our abilities.
A constant commitment to reshoring our activity
To further improve the environmental performance of the panels and create industrial jobs in France, we have invested significantly in developing our manufacturing and assembly plant in France for SPRING hybrid panels, which bear the Made in France label.
We commit to continue measuring and improving the carbon footprint of all DualSun panels with the long-term goal of relocating the lamination of our DualSun FLASH and SPRING panels to Europe, and possibly to France.
At a time when the building sector accounts for over 35% of global energy consumption, it is urgent to increase renewable energy production to make buildings energy self-sufficient. That is why we are working today to make high-performance, low-carbon solar energy accessible to as many people as possible.